Appetizers and Wine

Those of you who have been following this blog for the past six months know that I usually write my blogs late on Tuesday nights. Well last Tuesday, the blog service I use was down, then again on Wednesday, and Thursday I was completely distracted. Distracted...you say? Yes, I was obsessed with the smells wafting through my house. You see, I had been hearing about “bacon jam” and decided to find a recipe and make some myself. I can’t think of anything better than bacon, onions, garlic, maple syrup and coffee, as something spreadable and edible.

This got me reflecting on some of the best appetizers I’ve found for wine tasting parties. Now I don’t claim to be a gourmet chef, but I do like to cook, and love to see the interaction of foods and wines. Some foods work better than others, but I’ve kept some of the recipes that seem to work best with all different types of wine.  Here are links to some of my favorites:








Soften Brie with Caramel Nut Sauce – this is my own creation, so if you want my recipe, e-mail me.

Back to that “bacon jam”…here’s what I’m thinking: start with a sliced baguette, add a little spread of bacon jam, some butter lettuce and half of a cherry tomato. This will basically be a “BLT appetizer”. I’m thinking this should go well with a number of wines, but in particular Zinfandel. This Friday, my wine club is tasting some French wines, and we have a Provence Red, that I’m looking forward to pairing. I’ll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, do you have some favorite appetizers to pair with your wine? Share them here, by adding your comments. If you have a link to the recipe, feel free to add it.

1 comment: